Sunday, August 24, 2014

First day of school

School starts tomorrow. My son - my little boy - will be a sophomore in high school.  A sophomore!!!!!  It just doesn't seem possible.  I know all parents say this, but it really does seem as if he started kindergarten just yesterday. I can't believe that he is almost 16 and pushing 6 feet!  I miss him being that sweet little boy that had only given up his passy 6 months before kindergarten started. So I thought about a timeline of his (so far) 10 years in school:

Kindergarten:  his teacher sent a note home asking us to tell him not to write in cursive because the other kids couldn't read it. He also got sent to the principal's office for the first time.

1st grade: awful teacher but he met his first real friend, Wesley. They got into lots of trouble together.

2nd grade: got rezoned into a different school. He stopped saying "cunshtibull" instead of comfortable.

3rd grade: I finally let him stop riding in the booster seat. He stopped calling me Mommie.

4th grade: AMAZING teacher. He had a project to explain who he was (favorite book, movie, his hero, etc). The other kids chose a human for their hero. Not my kid. He chose the cat because Bucky licked him one time.

5th grade: the end of elementary school. Middle school here we come!!

Middle school was a blur of bad grades, his dad and I splitting up and temper tantrums (from both the kid and from me).  I was never more thankful than when he was diagnosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiance Disorder.  I know that sounds weird, but there was finally a reason for his behavior and his grades.  He got started on meds in March of his 8th grade year and we have never looked back. High school is looming!!!!!

9th grade:  the change in him was amazing!  He started marching band and really found his place. Something that he is good at and loves. His grades turned around and for the first time since 5th grade, he didn't even come close to failing anything.

Now here we are starting 10th grade. He's continuing in marching band and even starting Latin.  I think it's gonna be an awesome year!!

Good luck buddy!! Mommie loves you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment