Thursday, October 1, 2015

College Life

I made it through my first quarter of college.  I can't believe that the first quarter is already done.  It just seems insane to me.  It went by so fast.  Going back to college has always been a dream but one that I didn't think was ever going to be possible.  I'm so glad that I finally made the decision and dammit, I'm sticking to it.

I'm usually not one to talk to many strangers other than a "hey, how are you" sort of thing.  But something strange happened when I walked into the classroom on the first day.  I finally realized that the only way I'm going to truly succeed is to truly come out of my comfort zone.  And I have.  And I'm not sure I've ever been happier.

I'm making new friends that I really think I'll have even after I graduate.  Most of the other students are not a whole lot older than H.  I just kinda talk to them like I would talk to him.  Seems to be working.  I'm not the class clown, but I do get a lot of laughs.

One of the friends that I made, N, is so much like me that it's a little scary.  She's 4 days older than me so our Pisces natures mesh very well.  Where we are alike, we might as well be the same person.  Where we are different, we are total polar opposites.  This makes for some long and very funny phone conversations - especially when she does her impressions of the other students in her program.

One of my instructors just seemed to click with me right away.  I feel like we could have been friends if she weren't my teacher.  Her teaching style just really works for me and my learning style.  I had her for two classes this quarter and I really learned a lot about myself in her classes.  She welcomed questions (and God knows, I ask A LOT of questions), class discussions and was so patient with me when I asked her about a million times "I'm not sure I'm doing this right.  Could you come take a look?" I will miss Ms. C next quarter.

My other instructor, well, she wasn't my favorite.  I did learn stuff in her class.  This was in clear evidence when we played "Jeopardy" on Tuesday and the team I was on beat the shit out of the other 2 teams.  Clearly, I learned something.  I just didn't like her teaching style.

So the first quarter is done.  I made it not only through the quarter, but I made it with a 4.0 GPA and perfect attendance.  I'm so stoked about the upcoming quarter!!!

2 comments:

  1. You made my 1st quarter go by so quick. you offered me advice, guidance, laughter served up with a mutual bag of chips and diet soda in that dreadful computer class that we PASSED! "thank you Jesus" I met a wonderful counterpart to my constant Lucy and Ethel madness I serve up daily.. lol.. I don't know if I'm Ethel or Lucy I know we were instant friends but yet so different and funny! We are the Ebony and Ivory of Laverne and Shirley this semester shlemiel, schlemazel, hasenpfeffer incorporated We're gonna do it" Don't even act like those 4 days make you too young to remember that sitcom! lol! You are the best most genuine cat loving opposite of me. You remind me of my flip side if I dare ever flip the coin! .. But knowing me I would never flip the coin I like organized chaos .. I will definitely see you next week,and we will meet up in Venice ! Love you ! Damn you really write a freakin blog! is it APA formatted ? (inside joke)
    "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should be Lucy since I have the red in my hair. :) Thank God for chips, granola bars, diet soda and the laughing we HAD to do to get through that class. It was truly awful. We clicked instantly and the quarter would have been so much longer and not nearly as fun if we didn't become fast friends. And, yes, of course I remember Laverne and Shirley.... I prefer to think of the madness served as a spark of CREATIVE madness. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. That and meds. Hell no - I'm not writing this in APA format. I had a hard enough time writing in class in APA. Love you tons!!!!!

      Delete